Monday, April 9, 2012

Forge blow off valve


Item: Forge blow off valve (image source)

For all those import car enthusiasts and race fans - especially those that love boost, you will recognize this item to be a blow off valve. To simplify what a blow off valve is, it is used on turbo charged engines to release pressure caused by compression surges which extends the longevity of the engine and the turbo. I've been in the market for one of these but I haven't quite made up my mind on which brand to go for. There are many brands to choose from but I think I have my heart set on the Forge blow off valve; this one being a recirculating BOV.

Do I really need one? No - because my car already comes equipped with a stock blow off valve which should hold up to 16 PSI safely. But, I wouldn't mind having one of these to add to the "BLING" factor under the hood. It would also compliment some of the other go-fast mods I already have installed.

Itch reliever: Taekwondo Tidbit

My son recently joined a class for Taekwondo. So far, it has been a great experience. Not only does it teach self discipline and self defense, but it builds one's self esteem and makes him or her feel better about them self. I would highly recommend any form of mixed martial arts to people of all ages as it teaches you to protect yourself in times of danger or conflict and it is also an outlet to meet new people and make new friends.

9 comments:

  1. Ive got a forge atmospheric blowoff valve on my VW. With only an intake I think I'm exceeding forges "stock" spring. Seems to let out too much air and actuate at very low rpm. I enjoy it and it definitely turns heads In i drive by! F you can get one for cheap its a fun mod buy can get old quick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, BobbyVacco! I do like the fact that this is a really inexpensive mod and is easy to install.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, after hearing BOV in person, the novelty of the item wears quickly and becomes more of a nuisance. While installation and removal of the adapter is relatively quick, it's still time that could be spent elsewhere. Additionally, finding a buyer after the fact is additional time and effort spent on a strictly novelty item. For the price you're paying, you're better off spending a little more on a true performance enhancing modification. I, respectively, disagree and say, pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make a good point, GaspItsJesse, and I respect your comment. A BOV can be a bit of a nuisance and can gain unwanted attention which is why I would choose a recirculating BOV since the noise level has a minimal increase over stock, if any at all. And since I am not making crazy horsepower numbers, this upgrade would be more classified as an aesthetic upgrade rather than a performance upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a turbo guy and I love BOV. All tho my car was pushing 500whp a BOV was needed to protect both my motor and turbo. The sound never gets old for me but I've been in love with turbo since 97 when I first turbo my car. I know u not going for performance but if u decided to push more it's one less part u need to buy. Plus going recirculating noise will be very minimal. I'd buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, you also bring up a good point as a BOV can be considered an investment for those who have put in a lot of hard earned money into a fully built motor.

      Delete
  6. Also to add. Any form of Martial art is also good excersize. Keeps you in shape and good health. BJJ FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Gaspitsjesse what are you disagreeing with? O.o luckily in my case I got the full BOV replacement for the price of the spacer. I might actually be able to turn a profit once I decide to take it off.

    ReplyDelete